Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Adventures in Bread Baking

If I'm going to finish my 30 by 30, I don't have time to dilly dally. So last weekend I rolled up my sleeves for some good old fashioned break baking. I've had plenty of time to think about it. I've had by eye on this recipe for over a year, since it became one of the most popular emailed articles ever on newyorktimes.com. Since that time, who knows how many fans this recipe has gathered. You can find devotes of the no-knead bread method all over the web. It's so simple--some yeast, flour, salt and water stirred together in a bowl and left for a day to rise. An hour in the oven after that, and presto--bread! I thought it would be the perfect way to launch my break-baking career.

Except, sadly, my version failed to do the only thing it really has to do--rise to great and lofty heights. When I peaked in on my dough at hour 12, I was greeted with only the most tentative progress. Additional encouragement had no effect. I was ready to throw the not-so-big glob away, but my dad convinced me to bake it up, and the result was...kind of bagelish in a yummy, chewy, 10 bagels smushed together in a loaf kind of way. Not what I'd call a full success, but definitely not a bust either.

Stay tuned for attempt number two!

No comments: